Tips on how to become better at spelling!
Let’s face it, the English language can be DIFFICULT.
No one should be ashamed of having difficulty with spelling. Just work on it and watch your progress grow! :)
1. READ: Okay, I understand not everyone is a big reader. When you read you process the words; they seem easier to remember what they look like when you read.
2. SPELL CHECK IS GREAT BUT DON’T RELY ON IT TOO MUCH: Spell check is a great tool! When it is difficult to spell a word it is a handy tool to come to the rescue. When you use spell check, look at the corrected, figure out how to spell it, and without looking practice spelling it. (I know this may take too much time during school or needing to turn something in on time, but it will help!) :)
3. SOUND IT OUT: I understand this one may seem very childlike but it really will work!
4. USE MEMORY TRICKS: Memory tricks are great! Use anything to can think associate words or letters together. Speaking of together…when I was young my mother taught me how to spell “together” to-get-her. Tricks like that are awesome!
5. BE AWARE OF YOUR ACCENT: How do you say words? I have a bit of an accent than other people around me. The way you may say words may affect your spelling. For example: How many syllables is “foil’? one or two? It is one. Where I am from it sounds like two, foy-il. It may be difficult for someone to spell.
6. DON’T BE EMBARRASSED: Everyone has different skills and gifts; some people are better than others at certain skills. This is also a note for ones who are asked to spell something for someone. Please do not embarrass or make rude comments if someone asks you to spell something. It doesn’t teach anyone anything, and the point is learning right? Being kind is always the way to go! :)
Hope this helps! :)